1099 – Forvion monastery founded
The church is the only part of the entire monastery complex that still stands today.
1105-1106 – original church built and painted inside and out
At this stage, the church consists only of a barrel-vaulted single nave with three blind arches on each side that support transverse ribs, and a domed apsis to the east. It is covered with a steeply pitched, wood-shingled roof. It has doors in the centre of each wall. The frescoes are painted relatively quickly with lime-based pigments on plaster that is 1-2cm thick, strengthened by an admixture of chaff and applied in a single render with no finishing coat.
ca. 1150-1200 – the narthex is added
The narthex on the western side of the church was built in the style of Constantinople and has a cross-vault terminating in rounded apses to the north and south, and is topped by a dome. There are entrances to the north and west; the southern entrance was blocked off not long after it was built. The roof was extended to cover the narthex, which was also painted inside, but likely left plain outside.
early 14th century – the church is damaged by an earthquake and quickly repaired
The vault settles and cracks, and the conch of the apse partly collapses. The outside of the nave is strengthened with two buttresses near its western end and stronger transverse piers added on the inside. The arch of the conch was strengthened and given a pointed top, possibly following the shape into which it had settled. Shortly after, a flying buttress is added to the eastern end of the north wall, probably made of materials salvaged from the collapsed conch (including roof tiles). The conch is re-plastered and painted. The repairs cover older frescoes without much attention given to the joins.
1332-1333 – the narthex is re-painted in the current style
This painter is considered relatively inexpert, and is influenced by western styles, as can be seen in the clothing.
17th century – parts of the sanctuary are re-painted
The wooden iconostasis and carved altar door also date from this period.
late 18th century – the monastery is abandoned and falls into ruin
The monastery buildings are no longer visible, having been dismantled for material.
1933 – the paintings are catalogued
1959 – the church is renovated
The supporting pillars of the conch arch are removed and replaced with cast iron, revealing the paintings behind them. The exterior of the church is very much altered with high gables to the east and west and a new, much more steeply pitched double roof. The previous roof was shallower and had a wide overhang, providing sheltered verandas to the north, west, and south
1965: the paintings are cleaned, dated and again catalogued
Several paintings have entirely disappeared since 1933, and there is water damage to several walls that indicates standing water.